Best Welding Helmet Reviews 2016
Looking for the best welding helmet can be an overwhelming task, especially given the abundance of the possibilities that can be taken into account. Even if there are many brands and models, this does not mean that you can just choose any welding helmet. It is a good idea to take time to consult with what others have to say, such as through reading welding helmet review or asking for suggestions from people you personally know. Today a best welding helmet must be able to worn easily, comfortably for many hours working, providing easy adjustments, and advanced auto-darkening protection.
Helmets serve as protection for the welder’s eyes and head. That is why they are used in any type of welding work for cars, buses or workshops. There is an advanced technology used to make the helmets more efficient. This advanced technology is called the auto-darkening technology. This auto-darkening technology used in welder’s helmets is developed to provide safety. Helmets with auto-darkening technology have a lens that is coated to protect the welder’s eyes from being exposed to ultra-violet and infrared radiations. The helmets with this type of advanced technology are created based on every country’s national safety standards, which can differ in some ways.
Top 5 Best Welding Helmet On Market 2016
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Antra AH6-260-0000|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Jackson Safety BH3|| (4.5 / 5) |
|Antra AH6-660-6320|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Miller 251292 Classic Series|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Jackson Safety W40|| (4.6 / 5) |
Top 5 Best Welding Helmet 2016
1. Antra AH6-260-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
This is another brand of welding helmets which is considered among the top most brands. It is manufactured for Arc welding and cutting processes. It is known for its comfort, sensitivity and safety. The light designing and adjustability of light to dark is very less. The features of this welding headgear are numerous but here one can find important features.
- Protection against UV and IR radiations.
- Good view area
- Light designing
- Sensitivity control is adjustable
- Light to dark switch timing is very less
- Material with which helmet is made up of is polymide nylon
- It is covered by lenses externally
- Simple assembly
Reviews: It has been reviewed excellently by the customers on the basis of different features. TIG welder review is the best welders review for this brand. The auto darkening property has been appreciated by many of the consumers.
2. Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening | Balder Technology
Although it does not come cheap, its features are to die for! This value-for-your-money welding headgear outperforms the rest of the helmets on the market in terms of optical clarity since it is considered as the best in this aspect. It's lens with an auto-darkening feature, and it easy for the user to view anything from the helmet at various angles very clearly. It has sensitivity & delay controls so that the user can use them to adapt to varied task durations and conditions. Having passed the ANSI/ISEA Z87.1+ (2010) standards, this helmet ensures a high-level of protection. Its high-density, lightweight plastic shell is designed in such a way that it provides protection to the ears, neck, forehead and face of the welder against every weld spat and spark.
- Light weight
- Awesome view angle
- Auto darkening with balder technology
- Passed the ANSI/ISEA Z87.1+ (2010) standards
- Comfortable rounded smooth perimeter
- Adjustable sensitivity and delay
- Excellent optical clarity
- DIN plus certification
- Protect the eyes against UV rays
Reviews: A great number of customers highly recommend this helmet for its many awesome features. They are especially impressed with its versatility, functions and clear view feature, making it possible for the users to be able to see without any difficultly both in dark or light mode
3. Antra AH6-660-6320 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
It is one of the top most brands of welding helmets with plasma application and grinding feature. It is known for large view area and 4 premium sensors. The sensitivity and delay adjustability is also a plus point in this welding headgear. It has been authenticated with good plasma cutter reviews. The salient features of this headgear are as follows:
- Light weight around one pound
- Large viewing area
- Fully automatic control
- Continuous adjustment for delay time and sensitivity
- Made up of nylon
- Internal and external lens cover
Reviews: Customers have rated it on the basis of lenses, viewing field, light weight, cost effectiveness. People have said that it is better than the harbor freight auto darken welding head gear. Tig welder reviews have reviewed it, only on the basis of cost effectiveness also.
4. Miller 251292 Classic Series 8-12 Variable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
This helmet is so popular among the welders not only for its price but also for its various practical functions that produce effective results. Works best for beginner and advanced welders, this helmet offers much better optic quality compared with other low-cost welding helmets. Whether welding work is performed in school, in the office or at home, you know you are well protected since this helmet is made of durable materials. The auto-darkening serves as a protection against the UV rays. It has 8 to 12 variable shades, This headgear has a soft headband so that the welder can feel comfortable while wearing it. It also offers a good viewing area, so that the customers can continue working without straining their eyes. With an ANSI Z87.1+2010 standard, this welding headgear is sure to offer only the best protection. Moreover, it is easy to adjust the sensitivity & delay settings.
- Sensitivity & delay settings
- Variable shades
- Passed ANSI Z87.1+2010 Standard
- Automatic darkening
- Power control with auto-off & auto-on options
- Rechargeable solar cell
- Easy headgear adjustments
- Magnifying lens holder
Reviews: Many customers are so pleased with the quality of the helmet for such a relatively affordable price. They particularly like the auto-darkening effect, easy helmet adjustments and other functions that make their welding tasks more manageable.
5. Jackson Safety W40 Insight Variable Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
This excellent helmet helps welder’s work safely and efficiently. It has various remarkable features that set it apart from the rest. Due to its Auto Darkening Filter feature, it is possible for welders to work in various environments since they can adjust the shade of the helmet’s lens from 9-13. The lens of this superb helmet is wide enough, so the welders can see more while they are doing the welding work. The lens also has sensitivity & delay adjustments. It does not only have 4 auto-dimming sensors but also has user-friendly digital controls.
- Independent dimming sensors
- Auto darkening
- Large view area
- Variable shades
- Adjustable sensitivity
This value-for-your-money helmet is also CSA compliant and works well with HSL 100 and HLX100 shells. Great for the serious hobbyists and suitable for industrial businesses, this helmet is so versatile since it can be used for arc welding, tig welding and mig welding.
Benefits of Using Auto Darkening Welding Helmets
If you read welding helmet review online, you can see that a lot of people are recommending different types, making it more challenging for you to come up with a decision. Among others, consider an auto darkening welding helmet, which is ideal for professional welding applications. The following are some of the benefits of using this type of welding helmet:
- It reduces neck strain. In the case of traditional welding helmets, there is a fixed shade, which should be manually lifted when there is a need to take a closer look at what is being welded. When done repetitively, this does not only cause fatigue, but even strain on the neck.
- When it comes to the level of protection that is being offered, there is no doubt that it will make an excellent choice for the best welding helmet. You can be confident that harmful light emissions will not cause damage on your eyes, even if you are welding frequently.
- It is also important to note that it promotes wiser use of time and hence, encourages better productivity. With the use of auto darkening welding helmets, there is no more need to manually flip lenses and adjust helmet position, allowing you to be more focused with what you are doing.
- Another good thing about this kind of helmet, which is another reason why it is given favorable feedbacks in welding helmet reviews, is the fact that it helps improve the quality of the output. It allows welders to do their job accurately since they can have better vision on what they are working on.
How to Choose the Best Welding Helmet
Given the abundance of the choices for the best welding helmet, which one should you pick? Arriving at a decision will not be an easy feat as it requires the need to exert time and effort to possibly differentiate one from the other. Below, you can see some of the essential considerations that will increase the likelihood of making the right choice:
- Consider your budget. The first thing that you have to do is to consider how much you are willing to spend for the best welding helmet. While some people may be tempted to choose the cheapest option that is available in the market, this may not be wise, especially if quality if compensated. Considerwelding helmet as an investment.
- Create a list of at least three different brands or models. This is going to provide you with a good starting point to compare one from the other.
- Take a look at the features to differentiate the choices that you have initially listed. See to it how one is going to be better than the other model.
- Read reviews from other people, most of which can be found online. Through their experiences, it will be possible to learn a thing or two, allowing you to make a more intelligent decision. If you are the kind of person who does not trust the opinions of strangers, you can ask for recommendations from people you personally know.
- Choose the right size. Different manufacturers may have their own sizing charts. See to it that the welding helmet will fit snugly. If it is too tight, you might end up feeling uncomfortable and unable to finish the welding job properly.
The following are some of the most common questions that are being asked by people who are looking for the best welding helmet, as well as the answers to these questions.
1. What are the types of welding helmets?
Basically speaking, there are two types of welding helmets. The first is the standard or passive welding helmet, which is made with a dark tinted glass. It is often chosen because of its cheap price tag, but it is also not favored by some because there is a need to flip the helmet up and down, requiring more effort as it is used.
The second type is the auto darkening welding helmet. It is more advanced that the traditional counterpart as it is made with the use of electronic filter lens. Because it is highly innovative, it may prove to be more expensive but it is fully-packed with features that make it easier to sue. More than such, it has also received favorable feedbacks from many because it offers a higher level of protection.
2. What type of lens should I choose?
If you read welding helmet review online, you will also see that you will have to choose one on the basis of the type of shade that they have. A welding helmet with a fixed shade is better if the use is consistent over time, which means that you weld on the same material. However, if you are welding on different materials, it is better to choose a helmet with variable shade, making it possible to have the shade changed based on the requirements of the job.
3. What type of battery is better?
This is going to be more of a personal preference. Many of the modern choices for the best welding helmet are powered by solar batteries. The internal and non-replaceable panel derives its power from the heat of the sun. For many people, this is chosen because this is an eco-friendly alternative.
More so, there are also welding helmets that are made from replaceable batteries. These models are cheaper and they are also widely available. If you are going to opt for this model, make sure to choose one that is powered with lithium ion battery, which is known for longevity.
4. What is lens switching speed?
If you are going to settle with the auto darkening helmet, you will often see that manufacturers are highlighting the lens switching speed of the products that they are offering.
Basically speaking, it is a number that is indicative of the speed by which the lens will be back from its natural state of light. Most of the models for professional welders are rated with a light switching speed of 1/16,000 of a second.
5. What is adjustable delay control?
This is another feature that you will see in innovative models of the best welding helmet, especially one that falls under the auto darkening category. This will provide users with the ability to determine how long the lens will be darkened after the stopping of the welding arcs.
6. What is adjustable sensitivity control?
If you are trying to find the best welding helmet that is available in the market, do not forget to consider adjustable sensitivity control. Basically speaking, this will provide you with the flexibility to adjust lens sensitivity, which is especially useful for those who are welding at low amperages.
7. What other features are important?
The best welding helmet is one that is lightweight, but this does not mean that the quality of the materials should be compensated. Weight is important because the heavier ones can cause a strain on the neck when worn for a longer period of time, and hence, making you less productive in the welding job.
Aside from weight, you should also take a look at optical clarity, which will determine your ability to see things clearly when the helmet is being worn. If you cannot put on the helmet before having it purchased, try to consult with welding helmet review to see what other people are saying about the clarity of the lenses based on their experiences.
Lastly, do not forget to check that it satisfies the safety requirements that have been laid out by the relevant authorities. Make sure that it is certified to be safe and that it has undergone strict quality control protocols to guarantee safety before being released on the market.
There are so many brands of welding head gears available in the market but these 10 brands have stolen the show because of their amazing and unique features. All these brands have exceptional features in terms of advancement and cost effectiveness. One can easily get the best welding helmet of his choice.