How Much Money Do Welders Make Annually?
Welding is one of the highest paid labor-oriented jobs around the United States. Some of the welders from eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania are said to be paid over $100,000 per year. It might sound very lucrative, but we need to take a closer look at the average salary of a typical welder. It will help us see the full scenario.
You can get a decent welding job that pays a good amount of salary right out of the trade school. This phenomenon leads us to believe that there are undoubtedly many lucrative opportunities in the welding job market. But you have to keep in mind that there are no short cuts here. You have to work your way up and continuously give your best.
Here are some fun facts
- You do not need a college degree to start a welding job. The only thing you will need is nine months long training.
- Underwater welders typically get paid over $1,000 a day for their service.
- Welders specializing in industrial pipe earns $50,000 – $185,000 per annum.
- The military support welders make $160,000 – $2,000,000 a year in the UAE.
- Due to the boom in the defense spending, welders are considered as a crucial part of the workforce.
- Welders get to travel around the world, even space in some cases. It is due to their job on various projects.
- The “Road Warriors” are the welders who travel to make their living. You are going around the world and getting paid for it!
- Welding personnel specializing in industrial shut down often make $100000 or more. They only work for six months and spends doing whatever they like rest of the year.
- Welders have lucrative job opportunities in NASCAR racing teams who work as pit crews.
- The welding workforce is vital in cruise ships as well. There you will be provided with a room and receive chef prepared meals. You also get paid for it and roam around the world.
- Welders have options to work in the US military as well. With the diversified job description, you will not have a dull day, ever!
The Average Salary for Welding Jobs
An average wage of a welder is $36,720. It’s the case of middle-class welding workers. The lowest salary earned can go as low as $25,000. However, around 90% of the welding workforce gets paid around $57,000 per annum. See more here.
Welding Jobs that Pay the Best
The highest paying welding job opportunities are often highly competitive. You have to get the head to head with the other people to secure your spot. For example, transmission, electric power gelation, transportation and distribution sectors pay $66,550 a year. Nevertheless, the catch is that only 1,150 jobs are up for grab. This statistics is same for the natural gas distribution sector where the pay is $62,130 a year but positions counted is 1,000.
Starting Salary for Entry Level Welding Jobs
Your starting salary is highly dependent on your career decision. On average, a welder will get $15 per hour as a starting pay. The amount can go a little bit lower depending on the job and area you are working on. Welders can expect to get a $3 raise in their hourly pay depending on experience.
Where to Find the Most Welding Jobs?
Welding jobs are available in numerous areas. For example, the Midwest is renowned for its enormous popularity of welding work. From Ohio to Minnesota, you will be able to find thousands of welding job around. The list also includes Dakotas and western Pennsylvania thanks to the natural gas boom.
Big welding manufacturers such as Miller Electric and Lincoln Electric are situated in the upper Midwest. So you can expect ample of welding job opportunities over there. As the manufacturing came back to the US and many of the older welders retired, you can certainly expect welding jobs.
In many different cities, the welding jobs are required I the coast, particularly in the shipbuilding sector. Virginia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana are always open for welding jobs. Thanks to the natural gas drilling in Texas and Alaska, ample of welding jobs are available in these places.
The most popular cities for welding are Dallas, Texas, Houston and Fort Worth. The list also includes Chicago.
The welders get to choose which industry they want to work in. It is considered as one of the many benefits of the job. Whenever there is a new project available that requires building, the welders are bound to play a vital role there. In truth, the welding labor force heavily influences the modern economy.
Welding is not a profession for everyone. It’s a hard job, dangerous where you need proper protection in the workplace. Still, it is a rewarding experience, with a quite decent pay. Whatever it is, follow your dream and do what you want.