Stainless Steel MIG Welding Electrodes and Gases
To start with, MIG welding is nothing but a slang word accepted worldwide. But the real name of Welding through electrodes and gases is Gas Metal Arc Welding or GMAW. GMAW, i.e Gas Metal Arc Welding is a process of arc welding done by passing gas and wire electrode from a welding rod (metallic). A subtype of welding that consists of insert gases is Metal Inert Gas (MIG) welding.
Electrode, proper shielding gas, and proper conditions for welding are the three main things that are involved in the process of MIG Welding. If you are planning to purchase an electrode or shielding gas for GMAW Welding Stainless Steel, you can find few useful tips that are listed here.
How to Choose the Right Electrodes for MIG Welding Stainless Steel
Based on different purposes and operations, there is a variety of electrode or shielding gas accessible in the market today. But before you go on to buy an electrode for Stainless Steel; you should be completely aware of all kinds of electrodes and their utilizations. Let’s list down all the electrodes for Stainless Steel that are commonly used:
Among the electrodes for Stainless Steel that are listed above, it is strongly recommended to go for the first one. But if you still not satisfied you can ask the expert or the seller as to which electrodes for Stainless Steel will suit your purpose. Another thing you should be well aware before buying that the electrode you are choosing fits the definite grade of Stainless Steel that you have or using.
Things to Keep in Mind While Choosing A MIG Stainless Steel Welding Electrode
- Make sure that you match the wire type or electrode to the kind of metal that you are using to weld.
- Also think over the kind of transfer.
- Another important thing to consider is the positioning of metal that is to be weld.
- Also make sure that the heat resistance or abrasion is proper.
- Before you buy any sort of electrode or shielding gas make sure that you contact a welding engineer and get suggestions on the electrode type and size suitable for your purpose.
- You might also think about taking the assist of your area’s welding supplier on the suitable electrode.
To be very frank, many local welders and even knowledgeable welding engineers are not completely aware with the types and size of electrodes. They generally have knowledge only regarding the ER70S-6 electrode that is basically one of the most widely used electrodes. But then again, for a fact you cannot use it with any stainless steel, therefore it is strongly recommended to take assist, suggestion and tips from proficient experts before purchasing electrodes for GMAW, i.e Gas Metal Arc Welding. You can also find a lot of information on the type and size of the electrode used for welding in American Welding Society (AWS) designations; these are nothing but exclusive codes that are allotted to categorize the electrode types.
How to Choose the Right Gases for MIG Welding Stainless Steel
In a lot of cases, the local weld suppliers who are selling the electrode also have knowledge about appropriate gases that you can use with the electrode. The suitable gas combo that can be used with the electrode for Gas Metal Arc Welding is C2 (2% Carbon Dioxide and 98% Argon). Still, you must confirm it from the local welder or an expert before you buy the gas.
The three most commonly used gases for Stainless Steel welding are CO2, argon, Helium and Oxygen. These listed gases are commonly used in form of mixture. Even though Oxygen is known to improve the quality of the arc, but when used in high percentage it can also become the cause welding defects.
Choosing the Gas Type for MIG Welding Stainless Steel
- You must take tips, suggestions or help from your local welding supplier or a welding engineer before you buy
- Important thing is to take care and regularly check that the mixture of gas has the apt mishmash of gases and that too in the right amount.
- You must also look forward for the suggestion from the welding wire producer for the appropriate welding gas.
- No doubt, C2 is the best end result gas combo for stainless steel welding.
- The best availed triple mixture of shielding gas combo for welding of stainless steel is 7.5 % Argon, 90 % Helium, and 2.5 % Co2.